October 2, 2015
Dixon Family Services Parking Lot Event
On the morning of Wednesday, October 7 the parking lot next to Dixon Family Services, 155 North Second Street, will be secured for foot traffic only as there will be 4, or possibly 5 events happening at one time.
On hand will be the Food Bank Produce truck, the Solano County HSS Medical Van, the California Lifeline Free Phone giveaway and the DFS Rummage Sale. There is also a possibility that the Solano County Dental Van will participate in the parking lot event as well. That has not yet been confirmed.
As they do every first and third Wednesday, the Solano/Contra Costa Food Bank Produce Truck will distribute large quantities of fruits and vegetables to those who meet income guidelines. It is suggested that people bring 2 bags with handles. For more information, call the Food Bank at (707) 421-9777.
At another part of the parking lot the Solano County Health and Social Services Medical Van will be parked from 9 – 3.
And at the same time Dixon Family Services will hold a rummage sale in the back room and will spill out into the parking lot. People have been generously donating household items, clothing, furniture, books, toys and much more. We also have many holiday items that will not fit in the Thrift Store, so there will be a lot to choose from.
The parking lot is located at the corner of B Street and 2nd Street. All are encouraged to check it out. There will be something for everyone.
For more information you may call 678-0442.
NEWS FROM THE DIXON FAMILY SERVICES THRIFT STORE
NEW HOURS, WE STILL NEED VOLUNTEERS and OCTOBER 7 RUMMAGE SALE
The new hours at the Dixon Family Services (DFS) Thrift Store are Monday – Saturday from 10AM – 4PM. The change began on September 1. A goal of the Thrift Store Committee is to have the store open 7 days a week and to stay open longer hours. In order to do so we need more good people to volunteer. Consider these questions:
- Are you retired and want to do some meaningful work for 2-4 hours a week?
- Will you have teenagers at home for winter break? Some have classes that require them to perform community service hours and because we are a non-profit organization, we can sign off on those hours.
- Does your employer support and encourage volunteerism? Some businesses will allow spending hours at a non-profit organization “on the clock” to increase community involvement.
- Some companies will even make a financial donation as a match to the hours spent by their employees who volunteer.
Whatever your reason for volunteering is, we can use your help and appreciate it.
To get the process started you can print out the one page volunteer survey on the dixonfamilyservices.org website on the Thrift Store page. Or you can call or come to DFS and ask for the form. You can be put to work as early as next week.
On Wednesday, October 7 we are having a huge rummage sale in our parking lot and in the community room. If it rains, it will be limited to inside. Enter through the west back door. There will be lots of holiday décor, some furniture, clothing and other miscellaneous items all at rock bottom prices. Those who want to shop should come from 9AM – 2PM. Those who wish to donate can bring items on the 5th and 6th. Those who want to volunteer should show up anytime between 8Am – 3PM to do so. To get more information on how to shop, volunteer or donate to the rummage sale or to the thrift store can call 678-0442.
The Dixon Family Services Thrift Store provides advantages to our community:
- An affordable shopping experience for the people who need to stretch every dollar;
- A fun time for treasure hunters who may be looking for something to add to a collection or for something with good bones to re- purpose;
- An opportunity for citizens to make a difference in the community by donating, shopping or volunteering.
If you haven’t checked us out yet, what are you waiting for? We look forward to your visit soon.
One last reminder: Please LIKE us on Facebook on the Dixon Family Services page. It’s the one with the green and black price tag.
Thank you for your continued support!
Sincerely, Cookie Powell, Dixon Family Services